Quick answers for course builders
Scan the topics below for a quick answer to your question. If the answer is not below, please contact CTET Studio.
If my course is "Service Level 1," how do I get help?
You have a choice.
- Review the Service Level 1 checklist and resources tool to quickly check key things in your course before it starts.
- Submit a request for help online. Include key details like a link to the course, its start date and a description of your question/problem/request. We will respond as soon as possible.
- Email us.
- Phone us at 250.391.2600, ext. 4465 or toll free 1-866-808-5429 and ask for CTET Studio.
- Visit CTET Studio in the Learning and Innovation Centre, Room 004. Our office hours are Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
How are courses assigned to a Service Level?
Program areas decide on the service level based on the course's development needs, typically several months to a year or more prior to their start date. Here is a general sense of how courses "land" in one of the levels.
- Service Level 1: These courses have run before, and can run again pretty much the same, but the instructor may make minor tweaks, for example to readings or dates. Instructor should be proficient in Moodle.
- Service Level 2: These courses have run before, and still require the expertise of an instructional designer to support intentional learning design or faculty development. A course may be reassigned to Level 2 if no instructor is available to work on it 14 weeks before the start date, or if an instructor is new to Moodle.
- Service Level 3: These are typically new courses, or courses in need of significant learning design support. An instructional designer is assigned to support learning design and the whole development timeline (~6 - 16 months), beginning with Curriculum Committee support through to final quality reviews.
How are courses reassigned from Service Level 2 to 1?
The program requests the change by alerting the CTET course coordinator at least 12 weeks + 3 days before the course start date. This allows us to get into the proper workflow and automated messaging of a SL1 course.
How are courses reassigned from Service Level 1 to 2?
When an SL1 course is manually changed to a SL2:
- A program decides to reassign the course because there is a need for specific learning design support or an instructor is new to Moodle. If this is the case, the program informs the CTET course coordinator of the change at least 12 weeks before the work starts.
- No instructor information has been provided. If there is no instructor information in CTET's Agresso report at 14 weeks, the course is assigned to SL2.
The CTET course coordinator then assigns additional CTET resources, and informs the CTET management team about resourcing implications.
How can I tell what level a course is?
After program areas assign a service level to courses, this information is stored in Agresso (Royal Roads' Student Information System) as a part of the CTET Course Schedule report. All program staff at the university can view this report. Also, program associates listed as the program contact on each course will receive standard messaging that indicates which level the particular course is.