In an active threat situation, one or more individuals pose an immediate danger.
An active threat may carry a firearm or other weapon that can cause harm.
These situations can be unpredictable and scary. The information on this page will help you know what to do if faced with an active threat.
How to respond to an active threat
Follow these steps if a violent situation is unfolding on campus:
- Quickly determine the best way to keep yourself safe and call 9-1-1 if it is safe to do so.
- Follow instructions from the police.
- If you are safe and able, call RRU Campus Security at 250-391-2525.
How to protect yourself
Active threat situations can unfold quickly, and each one is different. You'll need to quickly assess the situation to determine what to do.
Review these options for ways to protect yourself in an active threat situation.
Shelter in place
- If the situation is unfolding in a separate room or area, remain where you are ("shelter in place").
- Lock doors, close windows and blinds, turn off lights, and silence sources of noise.
- Keep away from windows and doors and remain quiet.
- Assist people with accessibility needs.
- If possible, RRU will issue a shelter in place or other alert via email, social media and website banner when we become aware of an active threat on campus.
- If you can tell the violent person is nearby, barricade doorways and entrances using any means. Hide behind solid objects, like a table or filing cabinet.
- Leave the area only if you know the location of the active threat.
- Have an escape route and plan in mind before you flee.
- Leave your belongings.
- If police are on site, leave the building with your hands visible and follow their instructions.
- Assist people with accessibility needs if safe to do so.
- Fighting an active threat is a last resort. Fight only when your life is in immediate danger.
- Try to stop the active threat. Act with physical aggression, throw items at them and attack to try to incapacitate them.
Keep calm and listen to emergency responders
In an active threat situation, remember to:
- Remain calm.
- Follow the instructions of police, Campus Security and RRU emergency personnel.
Review this material regularly to hone your instincts in an active threat situation.