Sponsored students

You may have some or all of your student tuition and fees paid by a sponsor. A sponsor is an organization that guarantees the payment and settlement of student tuition and fees.

Royal Roads University will invoice your sponsoring organization directly for your tuition and fees through third-party billing.

Student requirements for sponsorship agreements


When you apply to Royal Roads, you're required to pay the application fee. And you need to pay the tuition deposit when you are accepted. There may be exceptions granted under some group sponsorship arrangements.

Ensure that your sponsor completes the sponsorship application form and that Student Accounts receives it at least two months before your program start date.

If you are applying or are accepted less than two months before the program start date, send your sponsorship application at the time of acceptance.

You need to complete a student information release waiver to give Royal Roads permission to provide information about your student account to your sponsor.


You need to ensure that your tuition and other fees are paid in full by the due date, even if a sponsor is paying in whole or in part on your behalf.

Here's what to do:

  • Work directly with your sponsor to ensure that your account remains up to date. 
  • Make sure you understand the terms of the sponsorship agreement. You'll need to pay any charges not covered by your sponsor.
  • If you make a payment on your account before your sponsor completes the sponsorship application form and this payment results in a credit balance, you may be eligible for a refund. Email Student Accounts to request a refund.

Other requirements

Here are a few more things you'll need to do:

  • Provide your sponsor with any additional information (such as grades or transcripts) if required.
  • If you don't need the extended health care plan, you must opt out of it. The extended health care plan is available only to undergraduate students in full-time programs on campus.
  • Inform your sponsor if you withdraw from your studies, or need to take a leave of absence.

Sponsor requirements for sponsorship agreements


As a sponsoring organization, you need to complete the sponsorship application form for each student. If your organization is sponsoring more than five students, email Student Accounts to request a group sponsorship form.

Ensure that the sponsored student completes a student information release waiver and include it with their application form. Royal Roads University cannot release any student record information without the student’s consent.

Once the form is received, sponsorship information will be entered on the student’s account for the charges that you have specified.


Our preference is for students or sponsors to purchase textbooks directly from the bookstore. If direct purchasing is not possible and you require an invoice, please contact Student Accounts. They can coordinate direct invoicing for textbooks if required.

Other requirements

Here are a few more things you'll need to do:

  • Notify Student Accounts immediately, if you are withdrawing funding for a student.
  • If the extended health and dental fee is included in your sponsorship, indicate this in your sponsorship application form. If coverage is not required, the student is responsible for opting out of the plan.