For those of you who have reached this milestone in your academic journey, well done!
At Royal Roads University, graduation and convocation are two separate processes.
Graduation is the official process of having your academic credential (diploma, certificate or degree) approved. This takes place at an Academic Council meeting. The meetings are held five times per year (generally in February, May, July, October and December).
Convocation is your chance to celebrate your achievements with peers, colleagues, instructors, family and friends. Convocation is held semi-annually in the spring and the fall.
Here's what you need to know as you prepare to graduate from Royal Roads University. If you have any questions, please contact your program office or the Registrar’s Office.
You've met the requirements
You need to meet the following requirements before you graduate:
- You've completed the required and elective courses for your program, as well as total credit requirements and minimum GPA requirements.
- You've completed an ethical review, if required, and received approval.
- Your final grades have been received by the Registrar's Office by the grade deadline.
Please contact your program office to confirm the grade deadline for each Academic Council meeting. The grade deadline is typically set several weeks prior to each scheduled Academic Council meeting.
- You've paid any outstanding balances owing to the university — the Registrar’s Office will not release your parchment until all balances are paid.
Please visit RRU’s academic regulations for more information regarding graduation criteria.
Graduation – How it works
- The Registrar’s Office automatically assesses student records that appear to be eligible for graduation. Final grades need to be received by the grade deadline for a record to be assessed at an upcoming Academic Council meeting. If you miss the grade deadline, your record will automatically be assessed for graduation eligibility for the next Academic Council meeting.
- The Registrar’s Office works with the program offices to confirm completion of requirements and prepares a list of students eligible for graduation for Academic Council.
- Academic Council and the Chancellor confer academic credentials.
You have an opportunity to celebrate at Convocation
Royal Roads hosts semi-annual convocation celebrations in the spring and the fall. Ceremonies are typically held in June and November. This is your chance to celebrate (online or in person) with your classmates, faculty, family and friends.
You are eligible to attend the next convocation ceremony after your graduation at Academic Council:
- For programs with diplomas, certificates or degrees conferred at Academic Council meetings held in December, February or May, you are eligible to apply to the spring convocation ceremony.
- For programs with diplomas, certificates or degrees conferred at Academic Council meetings held in July or October, you are eligible to apply to the fall convocation ceremony.
If you're unable to attend your scheduled convocation ceremony, you may request to attend the next convocation immediately following.
You receive your parchment
After the Academic Council meeting, your parchment will be mailed to the address on file with the Registrar’s Office. This is the official document issued by Royal Roads University that certifies that you have completed your program and grants you a new credential.
Graduates will typically receive parchments within 4-6 weeks of a scheduled Academic Council meeting.
Parchments are not handed out at convocation ceremonies.
Make sure your address is up to date in your MyAdmin account. You'll receive automated reminders when your credential is conferred.
The legal name you declare when you apply to your program is what will be printed on your parchment. Please visit RRU’s academic regulations for more information regarding parchment name standards.
If you have a legal name change or need to correct your name, contact the Registrar's Office as soon as possible.
Your online RRU accounts
You'll normally have access to your RRU email account for two weeks after your convocation ceremony date. You'll continue to have access to your MyAdmin account forever. Keep your login details for your records.
Read the full academic regulations on our website
Read RRU’s academic regulations about graduation, parchments and convocation.