Academic medical leaves

If you're experiencing an unanticipated medical issue that's preventing you from doing your course work, you can work with Accessibility Services to consider your options.

You may choose to request a major project extension, withdraw from a course or take a medical leave of absence.

Keep in mind the time limit for completing your degree program as described in academic regulations.

Authorized withdrawal from individual courses

If you have an unexpected medical event that prevents you from meeting the academic requirements of your program, you can apply for authorized withdrawal from individual courses.

To be eligible for authorized withdrawal, your medical condition must have emerged after your course started. You'll need to provide documentation from your healthcare practitioner.

Your official transcript from Royal Roads University will include "AW" (for authorized withdrawal) with the course name, but this will not affect your grade point average.

Repeating courses

Academic regulations about repeating courses apply to all withdrawals.

Retroactive authorized withdrawal

You can apply for retroactive authorized withdrawal from individual courses, if you provide medical documentation within three months of the end date of your course.

This documentation must describe the change in your normal health during the course, and explain why you were unable to submit the withdrawal before the end of the course.

Financial aid and awards

If you've received funding for a course, it's important to speak to Financial Aid and Awards, before requesting changes to your original course schedule.

Medical leave of absence

If you're unable to continue your studies due to a medical condition, you can apply for a 12-month medical leave of absence using this form.

You can request a leave of absence before classes start or during courses with medical documentation. Your transcript will include "AW" if your leave is approved during a course.

During your leave, you should focus on getting well. You won't receive academic supervision, and you won't be able to access the university's facilities or services. In some cases, there may be exceptions with approval from the Dean.

You can return to your studies before the end of the 12-month medical leave of absence with medical clearance.

Returning from a medical leave of absence

To return from medical leave of absence, you need to complete this form with medical documentation confirming that you are fit to study. You need to do this at least one month before the end of your leave.

Accessibility Services will work with you and your program head to develop a plan for your return to your studies.

If you're unable to return, you can choose from the following two options:

Before making a decision to withdraw, we recommend that you talk to an Access Advisor, your program office and the Registrar's Office.

Program completion time limits

Please be aware that time spent on medical extensions, leaves or temporary withdrawals will be included in the calculation of your program completion time as described in academic regulations.