Accessibility on campus

Royal Roads University is committed to welcoming all students, faculty and staff to campus and continuing to improve accessibility of our facilities.

Getting to Royal Roads University

You may choose to use the handyDART service to get to Royal Roads. It's an accessible, door-to-door shared transit service. It's for people with permanent or temporary disabilities that prevent them from using fixed-route transit without assistance from another person.

If you're a full-time undergraduate student studying on campus, your student fees include the U-Pass. The U-Pass provides you with unlimited access to the Victoria Regional Transit System, including handyDART.

Getting around on campus

View the campus map and select "Accessibility" to see locations of the following features:

  • accessible entrances with power doors
  • accessible parking stalls
  • ramps
  • elevators

Accessible parking

If you have a temporary or permanent disability, you can use designated accessible parking spaces with a valid accessible parking permit.

Apply for an accessible parking permit by completing this form and submitting one of the following:

  • a copy of a current, valid provincial accessible parking permit
  • a doctor's note confirming eligibility

You can apply for temporary accessible parking permit, which is valid for six months. If you need temporary accessible parking after six months, you'll need to reapply and resubmit your doctor's letter.

Aim to submit your request for an accessible parking permit one month before arriving on campus.

You can also apply for an accessible parking permit in person at the RRU Welcome Desk.

If you don't find an available accessible parking space, use a regular parking space and phone Campus Security at 250-391-2525 for help getting to your classroom. Be aware that parking spaces are located at the top and bottom of a steep hill (with a 23 per cent incline), which can be challenging for people with mobility limitations.

Find parking permit rates and locations.

Accessible on-campus accommodation

Royal Roads offers short-term campus housing for students attending residencies.

You can request a room with an ensuite washroom through Accessibility Services, if you need it because of a medical condition or unique need.

If you have a permanent physical disability, the ensuite will be allocated early. All other ensuite requests from students will be allocated one week before residency.

Complete an accessible accommodation request form, along with your healthcare practitioner, at least one week before arriving on campus.

Equity, diversity and inclusion

Our diversity action group includes students, faculty and staff who champion inclusion and full participation of all members of the university community through education and leadership.