Bio (Kathleen Manion)
Associate Professor and Curriculum Committee Chair: Transforming Child Protection to Wellbeing (Lead)
Kathleen Manion is a scholar-practitioner who bridges the gap between practitioner experiential knowledge, academic theory, and policy objectives. She is passionate about social justice, humanitarian issues, interdisciplinary perspectives and applied research. She is principally focused on children and young people’s wellbeing. Manion has a broad range of policy and practice experience in social work, community development, and interdisciplinary work. She strives to make complex concepts understandable and bring voice to research participants. Manion has a commitment to student-focused experiences designed to spark curiosity and build lifelong learning. Her projects touch on international social work, youth advocacy, child rights, protection, and wellbeing, homelessness, environmental justice and family violence.
Manion has worked in academia, government and the not-for-profit sector within several countries. Her previous research and policy work have included children’s rights, participation, education and youth climate action. She has focused on prevention of violence against children and in families, neglect, sexual exploitation, human trafficking in women and children, suicide and self-harm. Manion’s previous research and policy work has also included homelessness, social work education and team work in higher education, youth justice, child protection and wellbeing.
- PhD Sociology, University of East London (2006)
- Voices of the unheard: perceptions of the success of interventions with commercially sexually exploited girls in three countries
- Masters in International Law, Specialisation in Human Rights Law, University of London (2017)
- Masters of International Social Work and Community Development Studies, with Distinction, University of East London (2003)
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology Major, University of Waterloo (1996)
- Certificate in General Social Work (1996)
- Peace and Conflict Studies Diploma (1998)
- Currie, V., Wrights, L., Lee, L., Manion, K., Gallopeni, B, Terzi-Barbarosie, D., Mateeva, A., Milojevic, S., Trbus, M., Costache, I., Lazor, T., & Zecevic, I. (2021). Final Report: Regional Research on Violence Against Children in Schools South Eastern Europe. Terre des hommes & International Institute for Child Rights and Development.
- Axe, J., Childs, E., & Manion, K. (2020). In Search of Employment: Tackling Youth Homelessness and Unemployment. Children and Youth Services Review, I113(2020).
- Axe, J., Childs, E. & Manion, K. (2020). Zero Ceiling Work2Live Research Project Fall 2019: Final Report. Prepared for Zero Ceiling. Royal Roads University.
- Manion, H. K., Wright, L., & Currie, V. (2020, December). Role of Children's Clubs in Safeguarding of Children in Schools. Global Partnership to End Violence Against Children.
- Manion, H.K., Dyck, T., Shah-Preusser, N. & Thackeray, S. (2020). Teaching Innovation through team and collaborative based learning. In S. Palahicky (Ed). Enhancing Learning Design for Innovative Teaching in Higher Education. IGI Global.
- Manion, H.K., Jones, S. (2020). Child Rights Education - Building Capabilities and Empowerment Through Social Constructivism. Canadian Journal of Child Rights, https://ojs.library.carleton.ca/index.php/cjcr/article/view/2615/2427
- Sentes, L, Manion, K., & Yen, K. (2020). BCOHRC Monitoring and Evaluation Framework. BC Office of the Human Rights Commissioner.
- Sentes, L, Manion, K., Yen, K. (2020). BCOHRC Theory of Change. BC Office of the Human Rights Commissioner.
- Shah-Preusser, N., Thackeray, S., Dyck, T., Manion, K., & Palahicky, S. (2020). Team Based Learning: Collaboratively Guiding the Journey. In J. Haruo (Ed.). Collected Essays on Learning and Teaching (CELT) - Guiding the Journey: Learner-Teacher-Learner. Vol. XIII. Collected Essay on Learning and Teaching. https://celt.uwindsor.ca/index.php/CELT/issue/current
- Axe, J., Manion, K., & Childs, E. (2019, September). Zero Ceiling: Research Report 2018 Launch: September 18, 2019. Whistler, Canada.
- Manion, H.K. (2019). Right to Play- Bringing it to the Fore. Lisbon: International Conference on Childhood and Adolescence Book. https://icca.eventqualia.net/en/2020/home/abstracts/publications/ pp.149-168.
- Manion, H.K. (2019). Theory for social work with children. In M. Payne & E.R. Hall (Eds.). Routledge Handbook of Social Work Theory. Routledge.
- Axe, J., Childs, E. & Manion, K. (2018). Zero Ceiling: Program Review Summary: Full Report – April 9, 2018. Prepared for Zero Ceiling. Royal Roads University.
- Axe, J., Childs, E. & Manion, K. (2018, November). Summary of Initial Themes - Zero Ceiling Program Review Fall 2018. Prepared for Zero Ceiling. Royal Roads University.
- Manion, H.K. (2018). Children and Youth in the Refugee Equation: Working with the Vulnerable. In K. Christie & M. Boulby (Eds.). Living in Fear: Migration, Refugees and Human Security in the Mediterranean. Palgrave.
- Manion, K., Dyck, T., Palahicky, S., Shah-Preusser, N. & Thackeray, S. (2018). Team based Learning: Living our Model at Royal Roads University Final Research Report (Summary and Full). [Unpublished Report]. Royal Roads University.
- Young, M.G. & Manion, H.K. (2017). Harm reduction through housing first: An assessment of the Emergency Warming Centre in Inuvik. Harm Reduction Journal, 14 (8).
- Manion, H.K. (2015). International social problems. J. Wright (Ed). The International Encyclopedia of Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2nd Edition. Elsevier.
- Albrecht, G., Beard, T., Bianchi, D., Draca, J., Fluke, J., Gerbaka, B., Gray, J., Madrid, B., Manion, K., Mansell, J., Tonmyr, L., Van Puyenbroeck, H, Wolstenholme, S. (2012). Child Neglect: National Data Profiles. In H. Dubowitz (Ed). ISPCAN World Perspectives on Child Abuse 10th Edition, pp.48 - 56.
- Manion, K. & Nixon, P. (2012). Listening to experts: Children and young people’s participation'. Social Work Now, 49 (February) 30-39.
- Rock, L., Karabanow, J. & Manion, H.K. (2012).Childhood and Youth in International Context: Life-Course. In K. Lyons, T. Hokenstad, M. Pawar, N. Huegler, & N. Hall (eds) Handbook of International Social Work, London: Sage.
- Sturmfels, D. & Manion, K. (2012). Giving children a voice: Paving the way for Child, Youth and Family’s participation strategy. Social Work Now, 49 (February) 40-46.
- De Haan I. & Manion, K. (2011). Building Safety and Deepening our Practice. Social Work Now, 47(April) 35–43.
- Manion, K. (2011). Focusing on the child: Redressing neglect in child protection. Social Work Now, 48 (October) 27-32.
- Manion, H. K. & Renwick, J. (2008). Equivocating over the Care and Protection Continuum: An Exploration of Families not Meeting the Threshold for Statutory Intervention. Social Policy of New Zealand.
- Lyons, K., Manion, H.K. & Carlsen, M. (2006). International Social Work: global conditions and local practice, Palgrave.
- Lyons, K. & Manion, H. K. (2006). Migration - an ongoing focus for local and international social workers. In N. Hall (ed.) Social Work Around the World IV, Berne: International Federation of Social Workers Press.
- Manion, H.K. (2005). A Global Perspective on Intellectual Property Rights: Against Social Workers Principles. Journal of International Social Work, 48(1) 77-87.
- Manion, H. K. (2005). Emerging social work researchers: the rise of doctoral student resources. European Journal of Social Work 8(1) 87-90.
- Lyons, K. & Manion, H. K. (2004). Goodbye DipSW: Trends in student satisfaction and employment outcomes- Some implications for the new social work award. Social Work Education, 23(2) 2004.
- Lyons, K. & Manion, H. K. (2004). Report on Education for the Social Professions in the United Kingdom. In F. Hamburger, G. Sander, T. Teichman, M. Wobk (eds) Social Work Education in Europe, Johannes Gutenburg-Universitat.
- Manion, H.K. (2004). Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children: Models of Good Practice in Biopsychosocial Rehabilitation, British Association of Social Workers/Venture Press.
- Lyons, K. & Manion, H.K. (2003) Social Work Studies: researching research. Research Note. British Journal of Social Work 33(8).
- Manion, H.K. (2002). Ecofeminism within Gender and Development. Ecofem Journal [online].
- Manion, H.K. (2002). Trafficking in Women and Children for Sexual Purposes: A Growing Threat in Europe. Social Work in Europe 9(2) 14:23.