Work in Canada after graduation

After you graduate from Royal Roads, you might be able to work in Canada temporarily if you meet the requirements.

Post-Graduation Work Permit Program

Canada has a program called the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. If you're eligible, you can get a permit to work in Canada for up to three years after you graduate. 

Programs must meet the following criteria for graduates to be eligible for the PGWP:

  • The program was at least 8 months long
  • The program led to a degree, diploma, or certificate
  • Fewer than 50% of courses in the program were completed through online or distance learning

Not all programs at Royal Roads meet the eligibility criteria for the PGWP. Online and blended programs at Royal Roads do not meet the eligibility criteria for the PGWP because more than 50% of courses in the program will be completed online. If you want to stay in Canada and work after graduation, look for a Royal Roads program delivered on campus and review the program schedule to confirm it meets the program eligibility requirements for the PGWP.

In addition to the program criteria above, there are other factors that may impact PGWP eligibility. It is important to review the complete eligibility criteria for the PGWP before you begin your program, to maintain your eligibility throughout your studies.

When to Apply

You'll need to apply within 180 days of receiving a written letter from Royal Roads that says you've completed your program. If you apply for the PGWP while your study permit is still valid, you may be eligible to work while your PGWP application is in process. Follow our step-by-step guide to help you through the application process.

Need support? You can get immigration advising from Royal Roads.