Post-graduation work permit

Learn more about the Post Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) 

Directly following an eligible program of study, you may apply for an open work permit called a post-graduation work permit (PGWP), which may be valid for up to three years. 

The immigration information on this webpage is provided as a service to students and has been reviewed and endorsed by a Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor (RISIA) or a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) in compliance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. This is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Please refer to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for the most updated information.

Post graduation work permit application overview

When to apply?

Apply for a PGWP before your study permit expires or becomes invalid to be eligible to work while the application is processed.

You have up to 180 days after the end of your program to apply for a PGWP.

Note:  If you finish your studies earlier than expected. Your study permit will expire on whichever date comes first:

  • The date marked on the permit


  • 90 days after the day you receive the letter of completion

How to apply?

You must apply online, unless you cannot due to a disability or a problem with the online application form.

Applicants who are outside Canada, please visit IRCC website for more instructions.

What to do if your study permit expired?

If you want to stay in Canada, apply for a post graduation work permit  and restore status.

There are additional fees to restore your status and you won't be eligible to  work or study until you receive a new work or study permit.

Processing Time

Processing times vary. Visit this IRCC page to check current processing times.


  • $255 CAD 
  • $85 CAD for Biometric (if required)

Application fees vary. If required, you will pay fees online after you upload all the documents.

Application form and IRCC guide for in-Canada application

IMM5710 - Application to change conditions, extend my stay or remain in Canada as a worker

Guide 5580 - Applying for a Work Permit - Student Guide - online application

Frequently asked questions

IRCC date and time of receipt of online application


Show all / Hide all

Steps to submit the post graduation work permit online application

Contact an Immigration Advisor

Immigration Advisors are here to assist you with your PGWP application.