Immigration information & resources

The immigration information on this webpage has been reviewed and endorsed by a Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor (RISIA) in compliance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. This is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Please refer to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for the most updated information

Studying and working in Canada

To study and work in Canada, you may require various immigration permits and visas.

The following resources offer some advice to start with.

COVID-19 and travel

If you have any questions on travelling to Canada during the COVID-19 pandemic, review:

Study permit extension

If your study permit will expire before your program ends, you will need to extend it to ensure you have valid status throughout your studies. Submit your application well before your current permit expires.

Review the following resources:

Co-op/Internship work permit

If your program includes an internship, you will need a co-op/internship work permit before your internship begins.

You can apply for the co-op/internship work permit in the same application as your initial study permit or study permit extension. You can also apply for your co-op/internship permit separately.

Submit your application for your co-op/internship work permit 10 months before the start of your internship.

Review the following resources:

Post-graduation work permit

Directly following an eligible program of study, you may apply for an open work permit called a post-graduation work permit (PGWP), which may be valid for up to three years. You are only able to apply for a PGWP within 180 days of completing your program. If you meet all the conditions, you can work until IRCC makes a decision on your work permit application.

To work while your PGWP application is being processed you must meet the following conditions:

  • your study permit was valid when you submitted your PGWP application
  • you have completed your program of study
  • you were eligible to work off campus without a work permit while studying
  • you didn’t work more hours than you were allowed to

Review the following resources:

Temporary resident visa (TRV) from inside Canada

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is used only for entry into Canada, while a study permit allows you to remain in Canada. TRVs are often issued for the same length of time as the study permit. If you have a study permit, a TRV is not needed while inside Canada, but it is a good idea to keep a valid TRV in case of sudden trips abroad.

Only citizens of certain countries require a TRV. Visit IRCC to determine whether you need a TRV.

If you have extended your study permit, you can apply for a new TRV from inside Canada.

Review the following resources:

Travel restrictions, exemptions and advice

If you are planning to travel while you are a student at Royal Roads, you should visit the IRCC websites to review travel guidelines. It is your responsibility to know and follow all travel restrictions and guidelines.

Review the following resources:

Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA)

For general information on Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) programs, services and initiatives, visit the CBSA website.

CBSA officers make the final decision to admit temporary residents at ports of entry, therefore interactions with CBSA should be conducted in a respectful and appropriate manner.

Note that CBSA will not answer questions related to specific individuals and/or businesses, including third-party requests.

Be aware of scammers posing as CBSA employees. The resources below include information on how to recognize a scam.

Review the following resources:

Contact page and helpful resources from CBSA

Arriving in Canada via YVR in Vancouver?

CBSA and the YVR Airport Authority operate a Voluntary Compliance Portal (VC Portal), which provides CBSA with advanced notification on travellers who require permits.

The VC Portal is intended to reduce wait times by allowing CBSA to print study permits before your arrival. If you have also been approved for a co-op/internship work permit, you can still use the VC Portal, but it will only issue your study permit, not the other ones. The VC Portal is voluntary and you will not be negatively impacted if you do not use it. Using the VC Portal also does not guarantee entry into Canada.

To use the VC Portal:

  • You must have a Letter of Introduction (study permit approval letter) indicating that your study permit has been approved
  • You must be entering Canada at YVR
  • You must submit your information to the VC Portal using the online form at least 72 hours before your departure.

Check IRCC processing times

If you have an application in progress you can check the status of your application online, and make sure your contact information and your application details are up to date on your IRCC account. You can also use the IRCC web form to contact IRCC to check the status of your application or to inform IRCC of changes in your application.

Review the following resources:


Depending on your country of origin and application, IRCC may ask you to submit biometrics to process your application.

Review the following resources:

Contact IRCC

You can contact IRCC by web form or telephone for any further information you need on your application.

Review the following resources:

IRCC notices

All the updates and notices on Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada are available for the students on the IRCC website. You can subscribe to the IRCC Newsroom or visit IRCC Notices page for the latest update on immigration.

General information

  • Students are responsible to maintain their immigration status and compliance with the permit/visa conditions they received from the IRCC
  • Section 91 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act states that, if a fee is involved, only a bona fide immigration consultant or a lawyer can provide advice on your immigration application or proceedings.
  • Royal Roads University staff cannot represent you or complete an application on your behalf.