Co-op/internship permit

Learn more about co-op/internship work permits

Does your program include an internship? If so, you will need a co-op/internship work permit before your internship begins.

You may be issued a work permit along with your study permit when you enter Canada. This work permit is most likely your internship/co-op work permit. Check the information and remarks carefully. An internship/co-op work permit will indicate the employer is Royal Roads University.

If you have received only a study permit at the port of entry, you can apply for your co-op/internship permit separately within Canada.

Note: You can also apply for the co-op/internship work permit in the same application as a study permit extension. Please follow the study permit extension step-by-step guide. The information on this page is  for students applying for a co-op work permit only. 

The immigration information on this webpage is provided as a service to students and has been reviewed and endorsed by a Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor (RISIA) or a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) in compliance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. This is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Please refer to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for the most updated information.

Applying for a co-op/internship work permit from inside Canada

When to apply?

As early as possible and at least 6 months before the deadline to submit your internship contract to your Internship Advisor

How to apply?

You must apply online, unless you cannot due to a disability or a problem with the online application form

If you are outside Canada and want to apply for a co-op/internship work permit, please visit IRCC website for more instructions

Frequently Asked Questions

My co-op permits say:

Work hours

Internship students: Eligible to work full time during internship under the internship/co-op work permit. Internship students may also work under their study permit: part time off-campus and/or full time on-campus on study permit.

Internship ended or work that is not for an approved internship:  Not eligible to work full time under the internship/co-op work permit even if it’s valid. Students can work part time off campus and/or full time on campus under their study permit if meeting the eligibility criteria.

Processing time

Processing times vary. Visit this IRCC page to check current processing times.

Co-op/Internship permit fee

  • No fee for Co-op Permit

  • $85 CAD for Biometric (if required)

Application fees vary. If required, you will pay fees online after you upload all the documents.

You can find information on fees in the application guides.

Application form and IRCC guide for in-Canada application

IMM5710 - Application to change conditions, extend my stay or remain in Canada as a worker

Guide 5580 - Applying for a Work Permit - Student Guide - online application

Show all / Hide all

Steps to submit the co-op/internship work permit online application

Contact an Immigration Advisor

Immigration Advisors are here to assist you with your internship/co-op work permit application.