The Diversity Action Group is made up students, faculty and staff of Royal Roads University. Together, we envision a community in which human rights are respected and equity and inclusion are embedded in all areas of academic, work and university life.
The Diversity Action Group raises awareness, informs and educates the university community on the experience of people from diverse backgrounds. We do this by highlighting issues and creating opportunities for exploration and action initiatives to redress equity, diversity and inclusion barriers.
The DAG also conducts community consultation on the Diversity Statement every three years and makes recommendations for changes as needed.
The Diversity Action Group hosts a rotating Chair or Co-Chair position. Administrative coordination of the group is managed through a collaborative approach of shared leadership by a core group of volunteers.
The DAG is recognized and supported by the Royal Roads executive team and reports to the president through the vice-president, academic and provost.
- Donna DesBiens, learning designer with the Centre for Teaching and Educational Technologies
- Kyla McLeod, director of Student Services
- Frédéric Fovet, program head for the Master of Arts in Educational Leadership
- Asma-na-hi Antoine, associate director of Indigenous engagement
- Dranna Andrews-Brown, manager of Student Engagement
The DAG is open to all members of the university community. We normally have monthly meetings.
You can choose your level of commitment as a volunteer. Attend meetings and events, coordinate initiatives or just read our emails. There is no minimum or maximum level of participation.
Email the Diversity Action Group to join the working group or share your ideas to increase diversity and inclusion at Royal Roads. When you sign up you can indicate if you want to attend meetings.
The Diversity Action Group has hosted activities and events including the following:
- March 21, 2019 – International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination compilation of original poems submitted by students, faculty, staff and alumni
- December 2019 – Victoria Disability Resource Centre disability awareness training
- January and February 2020 – Campus Connect and Human Resources Wellness Fair
- February 2019 and 2020 – Black History Month events led by the RRU Afro-Heritage Association (RAHA), which has now transformed to Black Speaks Victoria
- May 2020 – Anti-racism collaborative initiative with the President's Steering Committee on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion and Anti-Racism Task Force
- July to September 2020 – Raising awareness within the group about trauma-informed pedagogy
- September 21, 2020 – International Day of Peace collaboration with the School of Humanitarian Studies
- September 30, 2020 – Orange Shirt Day panel discussion
- October 2020 – World Mental Health Day events offered in collaboration with Student Services, HR, the Office of Research Services and DAG.
- October 2020 – Renewal of DAG's purpose and organization with a distributed leadership model that honours the group's terms of reference and extends our capacities to value and include members' talents and strengths
- Oct 2020 — DAG responsiveness to community requests, including:
- presentation by DAG speakers requested by faculty in an International Hotel Management course to enable students to think about organizational diversity more deeply
- response to a request from the Vancouver Island Health Authority's Research Department to receive feedback on their draft equity, diversity and inclusion strategy statement
- response by various DAG members to a request from a University of Manitoba PhD student to participate in her dissertation research on faculty EDI training in Canadian post-secondary institutions
- November to December 2020 – DAG collaboration and support for Everyone Counts Census
- December 6, 2020 – National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women virtual vigil
- support for National Indigenous Peoples Day
- support for Pride Week, Positive Space Network courses, and Pride at Work
- support for Human Resources Census and other initiatives
- collaboration with the Office of Human Rights and Equity, Diversity & Inclusion President's Steering Committee on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion and Anti-Racism Task Force
- RRU Employee Standard of Conduct policy
- RRU Harassment and Discrimination Policy
- RRU Policy on Student Rights and Responsibilities
- Greater Victoria Housing Society
- The Intercultural Association of Greater Victoria
- Victoria Immigrant and Refugee Centre Society
- Coastal Research, Education and Advocacy Network
- Victoria Pride Society
National and provincial
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion at RRU
Learn more about equity, diversion and inclusion for students, faculty and staff at Royal Roads.