If you are travelling to Canada, you're required to self-isolate and monitor for COVID-19 symptoms for 14 days when you arrive. This includes international students who are exempt from travel restrictions.
The British Columbia government also requires travellers to submit a detailed self-isolation plan.
If you can't self-isolate in your permanent or long-term housing, you'll need to make arrangements to self-isolate in short-term housing such as a hotel. Here's a a list of hotels and food services in Victoria to support your self-isolation period. Find additional information on self-isolation.
Email Student Services for support if you're a student entering self-isolation. We can help you find accommodations and food services, too, if you're self-isolating outside of Victoria.
If you're taking a full-time program on campus, you'll need to find your own long-term housing off campus. Here are some resources and links to help with your search.
Short-term rental suggestions
Long-term rental suggestions
You're responsible for arranging off-campus housing while you study at Royal Roads. This includes your search, lease, furniture, utilities, house rules and any landlord–tenant agreements or disputes.
Tips for finding housing in Victoria
- Begin your search online before you arrive in Victoria. This will help you to get familiar with the types and costs of rental housing available.
- Contact landlords directly to set up appointments to see their accommodation. Do not transfer any money, such as a damage deposit, until you have seen the space in person.
- Review your tenancy rights and responsibilities in BC, before you sign a rental contract or lease.
Here are some websites where you can search for housing:
- Off-Campus Housing 101 — The Royal Roads off-campus housing database helps students find housing or roommates. Landlords can also post ads to find students as tenants.
- Facebook Marketplace
- Used Victoria
- Kijiji Victoria
- Craigslist Victoria
- Padmapper Victoria
- Victoria Real Estate Board rentals
Royal Roads University is not responsible for the content on any of these websites.
Location and bus routes
Colwood and Langford are the closest municipalities to Royal Roads. They are the most convenient areas to live if you're studying on campus.
Search for accommodations that are close to bus routes numbered 39, 50, 51 or 52. These buses stop on or close to campus.
If you prefer to live in downtown Victoria, keep in mind that your commute will be longer. It can be 25 to 90 minutes to reach campus depending on how you're travelling and the time of day.
International homestay suggestions
Many international students enrich their time at Royal Roads by living with a homestay family.
Through our partnership with the Canada Homestay Network you can be matched with a welcoming family that will provide you with housing and meals.
Email the Campus Welcome Desk or phone 250.391.2511 if you have questions about finding off-campus housing.