Canadian Western Deans' Agreement

Take courses at other universities with the Western Deans' Agreement

Sometimes, you need to stay close to home. Or you want to take a specialized course. Or you just want a change.

You can take some of your graduate-level courses for your Royal Roads degree, diploma or certificate through many other universities in Western Canada. We call those other universities “host institutions,” while Royal Roads is your “home institution.”

This exchange is thanks to the Western Deans' Agreement, which was established in 1974 as an expression of co-operation and mutual support among universities offering graduate programs in western Canada. Its primary purpose is the reciprocal enrichment of graduate programs in participating universities.

When you complete courses at a host institution under this agreement, we count them as transfer credits toward your Royal Roads program. You can earn up to:

  • 12 transfer credits for a master's degree
  • 6 credits for a graduate diploma
  • 3 credits for a graduate certificate

Tuition and fees

Under this agreement, you pay your normal home institution tuition to Royal Roads. You don’t need to pay tuition to your host institution.

However, you might need to pay other fees to your host institution:

  • student fees
  • activity fees
  • application fees
  • ancillary fees

Wherever possible, these fees will also be waived.

How to qualify

You need to meet a few requirements:

  • Be a student in good standing in a Royal Roads master’s, graduate diploma or graduate certificate program. (Doctoral students are not eligible.)
  • Have all your Royal Roads tuition and other fees paid up to date.
  • Choose a course approved by your Royal Roads program. The course needs to be equivalent to what your program offers for its core or elective courses.
  • If you are taking the Royal Roads MA in Interdisciplinary Studies, your course choices need to be part of your approved 36-credit program schedule.

Non-eligible courses

Some courses are not eligible for this exchange:

  • audit courses
  • continuing studies courses
  • non-credit courses
  • host institution courses you’ve already completed

How to get permission

Complete the following steps at least two weeks before the start of the course you want to take.

  • Fill out the downloadable authorization form.
  • Get the form signed by these people, in this order:
    1. Royal Roads school director
    2. Vice-President Academic and Provost
    3. host institution department head
    4. host institution graduate dean

Your responsibilities under this agreement

  • As soon as you get a registration confirmation from the host institution, send it to the Royal Roads registrar's office.
  • Meet the host university’s requirements for deadlines, class capacities and course prerequisites.
  • After you have completed your courses at the host institution, ask them to send your official transcripts to Royal Roads.
  • Complete all courses under this agreement within a total of 12 months, which do not need to happen consecutively.

Participating institutions

  • Athabasca University
  • University of Alberta
  • Brandon University
  • University of British Columbia
  • British Columbia Institute of Technology
  • University of Calgary
  • Concordia University College of Alberta
  • University of Lethbridge
  • University of Manitoba
  • University of Northern British Columbia
  • University of Regina
  • Royal Roads University <– you are here!
  • University of Saskatchewan
  • Simon Fraser University
  • University of Victoria