New students (Entrance)
Royal Roads offers Entrance Awards and Entrance Bursaries through this inclusive awarding system that provides an applicant the opportunity to put forward a description of their unique life experience that led them to studying at this university.
The Royal Roads Entrance Award program recognizes prospective students who have demonstrated achievement through academic or other preparation in one of Royal Roads’ major theme areas: business, communication and culture, education and technology, environment and sustainability, humanitarian studies, leadership studies, and tourism and hospitality.
The Royal Roads Entrance Bursary program recognizes prospective students who have selflessly dedicated their time and energy to volunteerism and community involvement and who demonstrate a reasonable amount of financial need. The purpose of this bursary is to aid in reducing the financial barrier to enrolling at Royal Roads University by helping those who have helped others.
The Awards Adjudication Panel has the flexibility to offer an Entrance Award for achievement, or an Entrance Bursary if the decision was based primarily on financial need.
About reasonable financial need: The cost of education and living will exceed the value of the Entrance Award/Bursary, so it must not be the only means by which an eligible candidate will fund their education. Eligible candidates will be able to demonstrate a reasonable plan for addressing the balance of funding required and make practical choices for affordability.
This tuition-credit award or bursary, valued from $2,000 to $10,000 at the discretion of the Awards Adjudication Panel, will be offered on a competitive basis to students who:
- Applies to a competition with a deadline that falls in the six months before the first day of their program, regardless of their admissions application status.
- Are entering an academic program.
- Have either demonstrated:
- achievement in one of Royal Roads major theme areas. Examples of achievement include: academic excellence in previous related studies; awards and honours; professional memberships and advancement in the relevant field of study, or
- selfless dedication to volunteerism and community involvement and also has reasonable financial need.
- Preference for an award or bursary will be given to applicants who have overcome exceptional personal challenges (e.g. former child in care, children of fallen service members, etc).
How to apply
- this Entrance Award is open to students who will be active in their program after the application deadline date
- pending the availability of funding, the competition will run annually from:
- December 1st to February 1st
- March 1st to May 1st
- June 1st to August 1st
- September 1st to November 1st
- applications are submitted online through MyAdmin.
- address eligibility in one one-page essay with your name in top margin