The Purpose of the CARE Team:
The CARE Team is a cross-functional team that assesses, refers and/or responds to students who have been identified as demonstrating emotional distress or exhibiting behaviour of concern. The CARE Team’s role is to receive information, collect additional insights, and determine effective strategies to respond to concerns. The CARE Team also helps to identify and liaise with the responsible parties for enacting those strategies.
The CARE Team works in a coordinated manner that supports all students with dignity and respect. The CARE Team’s primary goals are to remove barriers in order to help students succeed and to help facilitate the safety of the university community as a whole.
Members of the CARE Team include: a Student Counsellor; the Manager, Student Team Performance; the Manager, Student Success; the Manager, Student Engagement; the Director, Student Services and the Supervisor, Security Services.
Making a Referral to the CARE Team:
- If you are concerned about the overall safety or wellbeing of a student, or if you would like to make an appointment to speak with a member of the CARE Team, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To request immediate support contact Campus Security (250-391-2525) who will contact the on-call CARE Team member.
- In serious medical emergencies or imminent danger, 911 and Campus Security (250-391-2525) should always be contacted first. Campus Security are trained to provide First Aid.
What can be Reported to the CARE Team?
- Unusual or erratic behavior in class (on-campus or online)
- Extended absence from class or learning activities by a typically engaged student
- Written work or creative expression with troubling themes or references
- Verbal or written threats made by a student toward another student, faculty, or staff
- Verbal or written expressions of suicidal ideation or intent
- Actions which cause an alarm or call into question the safety of the student or their peers
- Basic needs insecurity (food & housing)
- Any report of a student who has required urgent medical assistance