The MA in Professional Communication program consists of two years of study with an annual three-week on-campus residency at the beginning of each year. Faculty who have expert, real-world experience provide a solid foundation of advanced professional and technical skills that underpin effective leadership in an increasingly communication-driven world.
The MA in Professional Communication program provides you a broad understanding of communication as a human activity. You will thrive in environments that require effective team-work, adaptability, strategic planning, intercultural mediation, digital technologies, and a sophisticated understanding of interpersonal discourse. Additionally, you will compete in an exciting Live Case Challenge, presenting a communications plan and thoughtful analysis to organizational representatives
You may pursue a thesis option, research paper option which is smaller in scope but allows for extra coursework, or fully course-based option to complete their program.
Please call 1.877.778.6227 to speak with an enrolment advisor for information about how you can apply your IABC accreditation to an MA in Professional Communication.
Who It’s For
Working professionals who want to excel in the integration of strategic written and verbal communications in an environment that requires team-work, adaptability, intercultural mediation, and a sophisticated understanding of interpersonal discourse. Through our Flexible Admission process, significant professional experience in lieu of academic requirements may also be considered. Please visit our Admission Requirements page for more information.
Graduates of the MA in Professional Communication are professionals with a broad understanding of communication as a human activity. They are leaders, entrepreneurs, and innovators in the workplace. They are able to function in environments that require effective team-work, adaptability, strategic planning, intercultural mediation, and a sophisticated understanding of interpersonal discourse. Finally, they excel in communication that requires the integration of superior written and spoken skills with digital technologies.
Graduates of the program will be familiar with government, social, and business organizations and will have an understanding of how information exchange is fundamental to their operation.
Graduates will have:
- Knowledge of both the fundamental and advanced concepts related to human communication and interaction and an ability to communicate successfully (written and oral discourse).
- The ability to use computer-mediated technology to manage the processes required for information retrieval and dispersal.
- Knowledge of the mass media and the information society, including information technology, telecommunications, public policy, publishing, and the cultural industries.
- Knowledge of government, social, and business organizations and an understanding of how information exchange is fundamental to the operation of these.
- An understanding of the management of communication industries and of internal and external corporate communications (public relations, advertising, marketing).
- An understanding of culture, international and intercultural communication, negotiation and conflict management. An ability to communicate effectively in diverse and difficult circumstances.