Note: the new intake date is for this program is currently being reviewed. Please contact the School of Environment and Sustainability for information on future intake dates.
The six-month Graduate Certificate in Sustainable Community Development provides working professionals with a flexible path to improving their practical experience, skills, and knowledge in sustainable community development through new thinking, strategy, and applied solutions.
This program combines on-site experiential learning with online study for an effective, flexible education option.
Through our collaborative partnership with various municipal partners, students will complete an intensive 8-day residency on site.
Who It's For
This graduate certificate program is for community-oriented professionals in the public and private sectors who are seeking practical tools and a holistic understanding of sustainable community-based development. By working on current, local projects that demand initiative, originality and leadership, you will gain the applied and theoretical expertise necessary for resolving complex community challenges. The residency also creates the opportunity to apply place-based evidence decision-making, improving your ability to effectively facilitate sustainable community development.
Upon completion of this six-month graduate certificate, students will be able to:
- Apply principles and practices to increase resiliency, innovation and transformation on the path to sustainability;
- Demonstrate an understanding of and ability to analyze applied research challenges or opportunities from an interdisciplinary perspective;
- Gather, select and interpret appropriate quantitative and qualitative data to critically assess and evaluate issues using a systems lens;
- Critically analyze, interpret and evaluate sustainable community development issues and scenarios, and recommend effective resolutions and strategies;
- Work with comprehensive tools to support community success in planning, decision-making and successful implementation;
- Apply principles and practices to build community engagement, capacity, collaboration and positive outcomes in varied contexts;
- Demonstrate creativity and initiative across systems thinking and critical thinking; and
- Apply experience and theory for practical, effective community development solutions.
This graduate certificate program is designed to be taken on its own, or to ladder into the Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies program. Please contact an enrolment advisor for more information.