First-year entry (4-year undergraduate degree with language upgrading)
The Bachelor of Arts in International Hotel Management is a unique undergraduate program that carefully considers your needs as an international student or a Canadian citizen or permanent resident that has not yet achieved English fluency. The first two years are a combination of foundational, preparatory and academic courses to help equip you for success at Royal Roads University and in Canada! Your final two years are a combination of academic courses, field trips, guest speakers, study abroad opportunities and more!
- Our cohort learning model will bring you together with inspired students from around the world where you will study together for the duration of your program, frequently forming a lifelong professional community.
- Our classes are small, averaging 35 students per class, allowing you to know your fellow students and your instructors to know you by name!
- You will experience two 12-week internships during your 4-year program allowing you to apply and expand your knowledge.
- Our instructors have industry experience and insight so your learning is not just about theory – it’s also about real-world application.
International Year 1
International Year 1 is a combination of English-language, academic preparation and academic courses to provide you with the support you need to succeed. No matter which program you are in, you will study a common curriculum during your first year. Throughout this three semester foundational program you will build competencies in the areas of global citizenship, critical thinking, independent and inquiry-based learning, intercultural relationships, communication and social justice in order to prepare you for your future years of academic and professional success.
- Small classes and individual instructor attention
- Fieldtrips and innovative learning opportunities
- Active engagement with Canadian society through Community Engagement and Service Learning (CESL 100)
- Teaching and learning approaches that respond to the important requirements of graduates for 21st century careers: teamwork, communication, inquiry-based learning, technology
International Year 2
During your second year you will study introductory courses related to international hotel management that represent the foundational knowledge required to succeed in the third and fourth years. At the end of your second year you will participate in an internship, allowing you to apply and expand you tourism knowledge in a three-month professional work placement.
Years 3 and 4
Your 3rd and 4th years consist of 4 semesters, a 3-month internship and are completed in 2 years. This program is designed and updated with ongoing input from industry leaders, responding to the current trends and the market demands of the field. You will develop a broad range of leadership, analytical and interpersonal skills, while being prepared for success in hospitality management. You will study international hotel management, the shared economy, technology, entrepreneurship, globalization, multicultural communications, and leading edge hospitality, all while interacting with and learning from an international cohort.