The Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Practice (BAEP) is a third- and fourth-year degree completion program delivered online. Design your curriculum to meet your career and personal goals within a framework that meets the needs of Canada’s rapidly expanding environmental careers market.
Acquire a practical, workplace-ready environmental skillset grounded in critical thinking and theory. Build your expertise in practical knowledge and real-world solutions. This is the approach throughout the Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Practice program.
The BAEP is also offered as a 4-year undergraduate degree for students typically entering from high school (or equivalent) for an interdisciplinary first and second year on campus. Visit the common foundations page to learn more about challenge-based learning in the first two years of this program.
Who It’s For
The Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Practice is designed for:
- Individuals with 2+ years of post-secondary education seeking to complete their undergraduate degree
- Individuals looking to enter the environmental sector with a career-focused, second degree
- Individuals seeking the academic requirements for Environmental Professional (EP) certification
- Individuals needing an accessible degree program they can take whoever, wherever, and whatever they are
The flexibility of this online program means that:
- There’s no need to give up your job – you can take the program whilst working full time
- There’s no need to travel or move home to study – the whole program is delivered entirely online
- You can take up to 7 years or as few as 2. Ultimately, you can take courses at a pace that suits you and your lifestyle
- You’ll build on your existing academic achievements
This online program is designed for individuals with a broad awareness of current and potential environmental issues; big-picture thinkers interested in developing their critical thinking ability and environmental knowledge while building a diverse network of peers to learn from and with.
How is the program designed and delivered?
The Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Practice program is a fully online 60 credit third- and fourth- year degree completion program.
The program has three phases that are taken concurrently, although some overlap is permitted.
- Phase 1 consists of 30 credits/10 courses of online Royal Roads courses from the core BAEP curriculum. Courses can be either taken one at a time or up to three at a time subject to availability.
- Phase 2 consists of 24 or 27 credits (8 or 9 courses) from an extensive list of online elective courses from Royal Roads or from one of several other accredited institutions from across Canada. Up to 15 credits of previously taken relevant 3rd or 4th-year courses can be transferred into the BAEP program.
- Phase 3 sees you complete a research paper or practicum that synthesizes the transdisciplinary knowledge gained through the coursework in the program into an applied and analytical capstone project.
Outcomes and Careers
As our partners ECO Canada points out – 72% of jobs in the environment sector need a bachelor's degree. Download the ECO Canada guide about the Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Practice program and learn more about outcomes and careers in the environmental field.
The environmental jobs sector is one of the fastest-growing employment sectors in Canada. Watch this webinar recording to hear the latest labor market findings for environmental work in our country.
Research by ECO Canada has shown the most important technical and soft skills needed for a career in the environmental professions are:
- Policy and legislation
- Public Awareness
- Industry Knowledge
- Health and Safety
- Research and Development
- Project Management
- Report Writing
All these skills are part of the BAEP curriculum, both directly in courses such as ENVM427: Public Policy Formulation, and also as learning outcomes within many of the program courses.
BAEP Graduates have gone on to successful careers in roles such as:
- Climate Change Policy
- Environmental Health and Safety Specialist
- Community Coordinator
- Sustainability Manager
In organizations including:
- Municipal Governments
- Environmental Consultancies
- Government Agencies
- First Nations
- Natural Resources Companies
The Royal Roads University and ECO Canada (Environmental Careers Organization of Canada) partnership was established in response to the growing need for environmental education that teaches practical, industry-standard skills and prepares graduates for immediate entry to the workforce.
Through this alliance, we are able to provide knowledge and skills training aligned to National Occupational Standards (NOS), and informed by Canada’s leading body of environmental labor market research (ECO Canada).
Environmental Professional (EP) Certification
Upon completion of the Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Practice program, you will have fulfilled the academic requirements for Environmental Professional (EP) certification through ECO Canada.
Depending on your work experience and competency levels across NOS skill and knowledge domains, you may be eligible to apply for EP certification upon graduation. As a nationally-recognized designation that signifies professional excellence and integrity, EP certification follows the EP Code of Ethics and requires a commitment to continuing professional development and current practices. Explore additional benefits of certification, and find out if you qualify by taking the EP Assessment quiz. Learn more about becoming an Environmental Professional:
Environmental Professional in-training (EPt) Certification
Graduates of the Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Practice program are also eligible to apply for Environmental Professional in-training (EPt) certification. Validate your learning and demonstrate your career commitment with an education that prepares you for a nationally-recognized professional designation.
Learn more about the program's admission requirements. For more information about the BAEP program or how to apply, connect with an Advisor by email, or call 250.391.2528 or 1.877.778.6227 (toll-free).
Curious to know more about Royal Roads' School of Environment & Sustainability? Visit our blog to read all about our initiatives, projects, faculty research, reflection on current events, and more.