Bio (Poornima Wasdani)
Kishinchand Poornima Wasdani is the first post-doctoral fellow at Royal Roads University appointed in the Faculty of Management. Wasdani is also the recipient of an Accelerate Post-doctoral Fellowship from Mitacs. Her research focuses on small businesses, social entrepreneurship and new venture formation. To date, she's published numerous books, journal articles, chapters and case studies.
Wasdani's most recent publication focuses on the challenges of impoverished micro-entrepreneurs maintaining social distancing during COVID-19. Her article appears in the journal, Local Environment: The International Journal of Justice and Sustainability. It's cited in a report published by the World Health Organization and remains the journal’s most downloaded article in 2020.
Her book on Transnational entrepreneurship: Issues of SME internationalization in the Indian context was published by Springer Nature in 2019. It's been cited as among the top publications concerning one of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) outlined by the UN, specifically SDG No. 8: Decent Work and Economic Growth.
Wasdani has held full-time and visiting appointments at academic institutions in several different countries. She's taught undergraduate, MBA and faculty development (doctoral equivalent) programs and supervised graduate research students. She has also co-investigated many research projects funded by several national and international agencies. Wasdani is currently the Associate Editor of the South Asian Journal of Management.
Wasdani earned her PhD from the Department of Management Studies at the Indian Institute of Science in 2014. She wrote much of her doctoral dissertation at the Indian Institute of Management in Bangalore. In 2005, Wasdani also earned the Japanese Government Monbukagakusho scholarship from the School of Business at the Kwansei Gakuin University. She received a Master of Business Administration with distinction in 1998 and a Bachelor of Mathematics in 1996 from Madras University.
- Manimala, M. J., Wasdani K. P., & Vijaygopal, A. (Eds.). (2019). Transnational entrepreneurship: Issues of SME internationalization in the Indian context. Singapore: Springer. ISBN: 978-981-10-6297-1.
- Manimala, M. J., & Wasdani, K. P. (Eds.). (2015). Entrepreneurial ecosystem: Perspectives from emerging economies. New Delhi: Springer. ISBN: 978-81-322-2085-5.
- Wasdani, K. P., & Prasad, A. (2020). The impossibility of social distancing among the urban poor: The case of an Indian slum in the times of COVID-19. Local Environment: The International Journal of Justice and Sustainability [IF: 1.848]. Issue: 5, Pages: 414-418. https://doi.org/10.1080/13549839.2020.1754375
- Manimala, M. J., Wasdani, K. P., & Vijaygopal, A. (2020). Facilitation and regulation of educational institutions: The role of accreditation. Vikalpa [IF: 0.48]. 45 issue: 1, page(s): 7-24. https://doi.org/10.1177/0256090920917263
- Wasdani, K. P., & Manimala, M. J. (2015). Opportunity Recognition (OR) skills of entrepreneurs and its association with their paths to business ownership and types of innovation: An empirical investigation of SME firms. Kindai Management Review, 3: 25-35.
- Wasdani, K. P., & Mathew, M. (2014). Potential for opportunity recognition along the stages of entrepreneurship. Journal of Global Entrepreneurship Research, 2(7): 1-24.
- Wasdani, K. P., & Mathew, M. (2014). Potential for Opportunity Recognition (ORP): Differentiating entrepreneurs. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, 23(3): 336-362.
- Wasdani, K. P., & Manimala, M. J. (2013). Distributed leadership at Google: Lessons from the billion-dollar brand. Ivey Business Journal, 77(3). Pp.1:6. Product Number: 9B13TC03. https://iveybusinessjournal.com/publication/distributed-leadership-at-go...
- Wasdani, K. P., Mayur, S. J., & Eapen, S. (2010). Effect of personal and social competencies on job satisfaction: An empirical study of head nurses. Focus: The International Journal of Management Digest, 6(1): pp. 1-11
- Manimala, M. J., Wasdani, K. P., & Vijaygopal, A. (2019). Transnational, ethnic and returnee entrepreneurship: Perspectives on SME internationalization. In M. J. Manimala, K. P. Wasdani, & A. Vijaygopal (Eds.), Transnational entrepreneurship: Issues of SME internationalization in the Indian context (pp. 3-33). Singapore: Springer. ISBN 978-981-10-6298-8
- Singh, C., & Wasdani, K. P. (2016). Finance for MSMEs in India: Sources and challenges. In P. Vandenberg, P. Chantapacdepong, & N. Yoshino (Eds.), SMEs in developing Asia: New approaches to overcoming market failures (pp. 270-296). Tokyo: Asian Development Bank Institute. ISBN 978-4-89974-067-4 (Print) ISBN 978-4-89974-068-1 (PDF)
- Wasdani, K. P., Manimala, M. J., & Kurian, C. (2015) Terumo-Penpol Limited (TPL): The travails and tribulations of R&D-based entrepreneurship in India. In J. Hayton, C. Salvato, & M. J. Manimala (Eds.), Global entrepreneurship: Case studies of entrepreneurial firms operating around the world (pp.71-83). Abingdon, UK: Routledge. ISBN 9780415703246
- Manimala, M. J., & Wasdani, K. P. (2015). Emerging economies: Muddling through to development. In M. J. Manimala & K. P. Wasdani (Eds.), Entrepreneurial ecosystem: Perspectives from emerging economies (pp. 3-53). New Delhi: Springer. ISBN 978-81-322-2086-2
- James, P. S., & Wasdani, P. (2009).A study of personality factors as determinants of managerial problem-solving skill among management students. In A. R. Singh (Eds.), Research in management and technology (pp. 12-23). New Delhi: Deep & Deep Publications.
- Wasdani, K. P., & Manimala, M. J. (2015). Shop@Home.com: Shopping at your doorstep (Reference No. 315-200-1/Teaching Note Reference No. 315-200-8). The Case Centre. http://www.thecasecentre.org/educators/products/view?id=129182
- Wasdani, K. P., Tamang, G., & Rajadurai, S. (2009). Arogya Bhaginis in Vejalpur municipality. In M. S. Saiyadain, J. S. Sodhi and R. J. Joshi (Eds.), Cases in organizational behaviour and human resource management (pp. 97-103). New Delhi, India: Tata McGraw-Hill. SBN 10: 0070152578 / ISBN 13: 9780070152571
- Wasdani, K. P. (2020). Sex and Stigma Stories of Everyday Life in Nevada’s Legal Brothels. Organization.
- Wasdani, K. P., & Vijaygopal, A. (2015). How some small businesses get their ducks in a row and grow while others remain undistinguished? Vikalpa, 40(4): 495-499.