Bio (Ian W. McVitty)
Ian McVitty has been an Associate Faculty member in the Royal Roads School of Tourism and Hospitality since 2016, working with international students in the Bachelor of Arts in International Hotel Management program. His focus is on tourism marketing and, fortunately,Victoria provides myriads of examples of tourism marketing in action. McVitty holds a Master of Learning and Technology from Royal Roads (2013) and continuously finds ways to apply modern learning theory.
International students bring their own experiences to courses, and McVitty blends tourism marketing with his interest in innovative classroom activities and pedagogies.
Prior to joining Royal Roads, McVitty taught Hospitality Management at Algonquin College, Ottawa for 35 years. His teaching specialities included hospitality and tourism marketing, hospitality management projects and hospitality information systems. During his teaching career he took academic leave to conduct qualitative research for Ottawa Tourism and Convention Authority. He also completed faculty exchange and development work in Vilnius, Lithuania and Bucharest, Romania. His 15-year hospitality industry career included working in a wide range of management positions in catering, front office, food and beverage management, and banquets, in hotels and restaurants in Europe and Canada.
- Master of Arts in Learning and Technology from Royal Roads University (2013)
- Diploma of Hotel Management from Shannon College of Hotel Management (1971)
- Certified Hospitality Educator (CHE) from American Hotel and Lodging, Educational Institute
- Microsoft Office Specialist Master from Microsoft Corporation
- Teacher of Adults Certification from Algonquin College
- Nomination for Kelly Outstanding Teaching Award from Royal Roads University (2018)
- Nomination for Laurent Isabelle Award from Algonquin College (2014)
- Founders Award from Royal Roads University (2013)
- Capital Educators Award from Ottawa Network for Education (2008)
- National Institute for Staff and Organizational Excellence Award from NISOD (2003)