Permit and Visa Applications

The following resources are provided to assist you with various immigration permits and visa applications you may encounter as an international student. Do you have a question? Please email Student Engagement. To book an Immigration Advising appointment, use our online booking system.

Study Permit Extension

If your study permit will expire before your program ends, you will need to extend it to ensure you have valid status throughout your studies. Please submit your application to extend your study permit 3 to 4 months before your current permit expires.


How to Apply for a Study Permit Extension (RRU resource)

IRCC Guide for Study Permit Extension

Co-op/Internship Work Permit

If your program includes an internship, you will need a co-op/internship work permit before your internship begins. You can apply for the co-op/internship work permit in the same application as an initial study permit or study permit extension – or you can apply for your co-op/internship permit on its own. Please submit your application for your co-op/internship work permit 3 to 4 months before the start of your internship.


How to Apply for a Co-op/Internship Work Permit (RRU resource)

IRCC Guide for Co-op/Internship Work Permit Applications

Post-Graduation Work Permit

Directly following an eligible program of study, students may apply for an open work permit called a post-graduation work permit (PGWP), which may be eligible for up to three years. You are only able to apply for a PGWP within 180 days of completing your program; your study permit must be valid when you apply.


How to Apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (RRU resource)

IRCC Guide for Post-Graduation Work Permit Applications

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) Extension

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is used only for entry into Canada, while a study permit allows you to remain in Canada. TRVs are often issued for the same length of time as the study permit. If you have a study permit, a TRV is not needed while inside Canada, but it is a good idea to keep a valid TRV in case of sudden trips abroad.

Only citizens of certain countries require a TRV. Visit Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada to determine whether you require a TRV. 

If you have extended your study permit, you may need to apply for a new TRV.

Resources: (RRU Resources)

How to Apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (RRU resource)

IRCC Guide for Temporary Resident Visa Applications


[The immigration information on this webpage has been reviewed and endorsed by a Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor (RISIA) in compliance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. This is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Please refer to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for the most updated information]