RRMC mace repatriated and put on display
Completed: September 2011
The mace is a symbol of the authority of the Senate of Royal Roads Military College to grant degrees at the bachelor, master's and doctoral level. This authority was granted to the Senate by the RRMC Degree Act on June 25, 1975. This mace was constructed prior to the convocation of the first graduating class in May 1977. Its four sides commemorate the sequence of the institutions at Royal Roads: HMCS Royal Roads, 1940-1942; the Royal Canadian Naval College, 1942-47; the RCN-RCAF Joint Services College, 1947-48; the Canadian Services College Royal Roads, 1948-1968; and Royal Roads Military College, 1968-1995. At each convocation between 1977 and 1995 the mace was carried by the mace bearer at the front of the academic procession and placed at the dais to the left of the Senate during the ceremony. It was last officially used at the RRMC cadet convocation in May 1995 and at the master's convocation in July 1995. Upon the closure of the college in 1995 it was sent to RMC, and subsequently sent to the CFB Esquimalt Wardroom, where it has been on display. The mace was returned for display at Royal Roads during Homecoming Weekend 2011.
Read more about the mace repatriation project here.