As an alternative to meeting RRU's English Language requirements, an applicant who believes that s/he is fully proficient may apply for an English Language Proficiency exemption. To be considered for this exemption, an applicant must submit a written request to the International Admissions Office (with supporting documentation if applicable), demonstrating his/her English proficiency. Below are some examples that may be considered for this purpose:
- Successful completion of three consecutive years of full-time secondary education in Canada or another country where the principal language of instruction is English, plus a minimum grade of B (73%) or better in one of: English 12, English Literature 12, English 12 First Peoples, or the equivalent(s)
- Successful completion of the last three consecutive years full-time secondary education in English at a recognized international school
- Grade of B (73%) or better on the provincial examination portion of: BC English 12, English Literature 12, or the equivalent(s)
- Successful completion of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma including Higher Level English with a final grade of 4 or better or Standard Level English with a final grade of 5 or better
- Successful completion of the Advanced Placement (AP) English examination (Language and Composition or Literature and Composition) with a grade of 4 or better.
An exemption is not guaranteed and, if granted, is only valid for entry to the program for which the exemption was assessed.