Graduate Certificate in Leadership
- Completion of a four-year (or comparable) undergraduate degree in a related field from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- At least five years of relevant leadership experience
- To be considered for Flexible Admission, applicants would normally require at least 10 years of relevant leadership experience, with some at a senior level.
English Language Proficiency
- If English is not your primary language, please review our English Language Requirements.
- Academic writing skills are required for success in this program and an English composition course focused on academic writing is therefore recommended. The Academic Writing and Critical Thinking course offered through Continuing Studies at Royal Roads University meets this recommendation.
All applications to this program require submission of the following information and supporting documents before your file can be assessed for admission:
In order to apply online, you will be required to create a log-in account using your email address. You will be required to list all credit courses and/or programs you have completed or are currently enrolled in. An application fee will be required. If your application fee(s) are being paid for by a sponsoring organization, please contact Student Accounts. Once submitted, you may check the status of your application at any time.
Applicants are responsible for arranging for the submission of official transcripts from ALL post-secondary (higher education) institutions currently or previously attended, for all credit courses and/or programs. Transcripts are not required for non-credit programs or courses, though some programs may require proof of professional certifications or designations.
Transcripts are considered official only if submitted directly by the Registrar or other recognized authority of the providing institution in the institution's original, sealed envelope. If the envelope has been opened, the transcripts are no longer official and new (official) transcripts will be required to complete your application.
All international transcripts or credentials are subject to an international transcript and/or credential evaluation.
Your personal statement should consist of a one or two page letter indicating your motivation for seeking entrance to the program. Your statement should comment upon your personal and career goals, the expectations you have for the program in relation to the achievement of your goals, and the strengths you feel you can bring to the program.
Letters of Reference
Two letters of reference should consist of the following:
Personal Character Reference: This letter should be from someone who has known you for several years outside of the context of your work. Please ask the writer to indicate the length of time and context in which they have known you, and consider the following attributes about you - honesty, integrity, responsibility, adaptability, concern and respect for others, sense of self-esteem and confidence.
- Work Related Reference: This letter should attest to your performance in the context of your current or previous work. The letter can address such areas as leadership potential, career commitment, human relations and supervisory skills, flexibility, communication, and technical skills.
Your resume should include the following in detail:
- Education: List all post-secondary education, degrees, diplomas, and certificates you have achieved.
- Training and Professional Development: List career related training and professional development programs completed within the past five years. Include the source of training, and the duration and year completed. List other training and personal development programs not already identified.
- Work Experience:Please include name of organization, position, length of service and brief description of duties.
- Voluntary/Unpaid Work Experience: List and describe any voluntary/unpaid post-secondary employment and/or community service experience. Please include name of organization, length of service and a brief description of duties.
- Leadership/Change Agent/Trainer Experience: Briefly describe any specific training and/or experience you have had as a group/project leader, co-ordinator of change initiatives, or as a trainer.
- Information Technology Training and Experience: Briefly describe your level of training and experience in using information technology including computers, software and telecommunications networks as tools for business, education, teaching and personal use.
- Innovative Learning Methods: Briefly describe any training and/or experience you have had in the use of innovative learning methods including distance learning, community and team-based learning, mentoring, etc. Include both your experience as a 'learner' and as an 'educator/trainer'.
- Professional Memberships/Affiliations: List memberships and positions you hold/have held in professional associations, service clubs, community/volunteer sector.
- Other Relevant Information: Provide any other information which you believe is relevant to your application and will be of assistance to the review committee. For example, electronic or digital copies (disk or flash drive) of business papers/documents/business plans, etc., might be useful. In certain cases we may require such documentation for candidates.
- Applicants declaring permanent resident or Convention Refugee status in Canada, must submit a copy of their Permanent Resident Card (PR card) along with their application.
- Transcript evaluation fee or credential evaluation report, if submitting international transcripts.
- An official English Language Proficiency score report or other evidence of proficiency if English is not your primary language.
- Other information or documents as may be requested to determine your eligibility.
For information on how and where to send your supporting documents, please refer to the document submission guidelines.