English Language Requirements
English is the primary language of instruction and communication in all domestic programs at Royal Roads University. As part of the application process, all applicants whose primary language is not English must demonstrate proficiency in English speaking, listening, reading and writing by one of the following means:
1. Submission of an official English language proficiency score report which meets one of the following minimum standards*:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- IELTS Academic: 6.5 overall; minimum 6.5 in writing and speaking; minimum 6.0 in listening and reading
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Internet-based Test (IBT): 88 overall; minimum 24 in writing; minimum 20 in listening, reading and speaking
- University of Cambridge English Examinations
- Advanced (CAE): 176 Overall; 176 in writing and speaking; 169 in listening and reading
- Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL):
- 70 overall; 70 in Writing; 60 in other skills
- Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB):
- 85 overall; 85 in writing; 80 in listening and reading; 3 in speaking
- Pearson Test of English – Academic (PTE-A):
- 60 overall; 60 minimum in writing and speaking; 58 minimum in listening and reading
* An official report is one sent directly from the test organization with a test date that is less than 2 years.
2. Graduation from a recognized diploma or degree program from a college or university at which English was the primary language of instruction in an English-speaking country.
3. Completion of the International Study Centre's undergraduate or pre-master's pathway program(s).
An applicant who believes they are fully proficient in English may provide a written submission to the International Admissions Office, demonstrating English proficiency through other means. Some programs may require additional or alternative verification of English competence.
English language requirements for the Doctor of Social Sciences program vary and are outlined on the Doctor of Social Sciences' admission requirements page.