For media inquiries, please contact, Jean Macgregor.
- Phone: 250.391.2600 ext. 4793
- Mobile: 250.415.6252
MAEST Minister Mark calls for engagement on sexual violence policies
Advanced Education, Skills and Training Minister Melanie Mark has issued an invitation to university community members throughout BC to provide feedback regarding university sexual violence and misconduct policies.
Royal Roads University agrees feedback on these policies is essential to make sure they meet the needs of survivors and create a culture of safety and accountability on campus.
“Sexual violence and misconduct is unacceptable anywhere and is not tolerated in our learning environments and workplace,” says Royal Roads President and Vice-Chancellor Allan Cahoon. “We laude Melanie Mark’s initiative and encourage the Royal Roads community to participate.”
The university launched its updated and complete sexual violence and misconduct policy in March 2017, in line with provincial legislation, after consulting with students, faculty and staff. Royal Roads has also created comprehensive protocols and procedures for helping students and other members of the university community.
Students, faculty and staff can share feedback on campus sexual violence policies with the ministry or directly with Royal Roads by contacting Vice-President Academic and Provost Steve Grundy and/or Vice-President and Chief Financial Officer Cheryl Eason.
We encourage survivors to reach out for help however they are comfortable doing so.
- Anyone in crisis can call 911 or the 24-hour Vancouver Island Crisis Line at 1-888-494-3888.
- Students, staff and faculty can call the RRU 24 hour Sexual Violence Support Line at 250 391-2600, Ext. 8514.
- Survivors in Victoria can contact the Victoria Sexual Assault Centre’s Crisis and Information Line at 250 383-3232.
- Students can also contact the university’s confidential counselling services.
- The Royal Roads University Students Association (RRUSA) has put together a valuable resource website for students looking for information or support: http://www.studentsagainstviolence.ca/.