Nominations for Chancellor's Community Recognition Awards from Royal Roads University will be accepted on an ongoing basis. For a list of past recipients please click here.
Criteria for selection
- Recipients are individuals or organizations with a real and significant connection to the university.
- Recipients will have made demonstrable contributions to their communities.
- Recipients will have demonstrated effective action in addressing one or more community issues while exemplifying one or more of the following principles:
- Conflict management
Eligibility and Exclusions
- Recipients have not previously received the Chancellor’s Community Recognition Award from Royal Roads University.
- Canadians and non-Canadians are eligible to be nominated.
- Normally, active members of faculty, staff and the Board of Governors are not eligible.
- Politicians currently in elected office are not eligible for consideration.
- Normally, Chancellor’s Community Recognition Awards are not awarded in absentia or posthumously; however, the Board may elect to waive this restriction.
- Normally, the Board of Governors will not award the Chancellor’s Community Recognition Award to an individual who has already received an honorary degree from Royal Roads University, but may do so at its discretion.
The Board of Governors at its discretion will consider meritorious nominations from any source: programs or faculty, students, staff, alumni, Governors, or members of the general public. However, nominators should not be members of the nominee’s family.
Nominations for Chancellor’s Community Recognition Awards may be made at any time. The Board of Governors shall periodically review nominations and approve candidates whose names shall be added to a pool from which the President may select for convocation ceremonies. Approved candidates’ names shall be kept on file for two years from the date of approval.
The university will issue an annual call for nominations.
All nominations and discussion related to any potential candidate shall be treated as strictly confidential. Candidates are not to be informed of their nominations unless they are selected to receive a Chancellor’s Community Recognition Award.
Nominations should include the following:
Nominations should be made in writing to the President and should include:
- The current name, address, telephone number and email address of the candidate.
- The names and contact information of two references for the nominee who are not members of the nominee's family.
- A sketch of the candidate's history and/or curriculum vitae.
- A nomination letter letter demonstrating how the nominee meets the selection criteria. Supporting documentation such as news articles or media releases detailing achievements that the nominator believes qualify the candidate for consideration for a Chancellor’s Community Recognition Award may also be included.
- A description of the relationship between the university and the candidate, if any.
Nominations may be submitted to email@example.com or mailed to:
Chancellor’s Community Recognition Award Nominations
Royal Roads University
2005 Sooke Rd.