Stuart Somerville Memorial Scholarship
The Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) is an international organization with the purpose of advancing the practice of environmentally and economically sound municipal solid waste management in North America. The BC and Yukon Chapter offers a number of $1,000 scholarships each year to assist students studying in disciplines related to solid wast management and environmental protection and leading to careers in these fields.
While any students in programs relevant to solid waste management or environmental protection are eligible for these awards, special consideration will be given to applicants who are members of SWANA or are immediate relatives (parent, child, spouse) of a SWANA Pacific Chapter member.
- intended course of studies related to solid waste management
- academic performance
- involvement in school and community activities
- involvement in activities beside regular course work which is related to solid waste management or environmental protection
- a brief written submission (500 words or less)
- preference may be given to SWANA members or their immediate relatives
- Completed SWANA Pacific Chapter Scholarship Application Form must be received on or before October 10 each year.
- Applicants must be registered in a full course of studies in an environmental management or a related program at a recognized post-secondary institution in British Columbia.
- Applicants must have completed their first year of post-secondary studies.