Earth Hour 2019
On March 30, 2019 at 8:30 pm local time, join the millions of people around the world who will switch off their lights and unplug for an hour to take action for our planet and nature. Earth Hour is a symbolic act to get us thinking about our planet and our impact on it.
Wonder what to do while the lights are off? Earth Hour can be as fun as it is good for the planet. Here are some fun and entertaining things you can do to enjoy Earth Hour without using much electricity in your home.
- Go for a walk: Take a walk around the city to see what has been switched off. Landmarks such as the Sydney Opera House, the Eiffel Tower and Big Ben have switched off their lights in the past in honour of Earth Hour. Any Victoria landmarks switching off their power?
- Go stargazing: If it is a clear night, check out the stars. There should be less light pollution so the stars will be extra bright.
- Have an ‘Earth Hour’ party: Invite friends or family over and have an Earth Hour or “green” themed party.
- Have a board game night: Bring out the Monopoly, Pictionary or your favourite game and play by candlelight.
- Build a fort or play hide and seek: Some fun activities to do with the kids; if you do not have any kids, bring out that inner child in you and build the most awesome fort ever.
- Think about sustainability: Not using any electricity for an hour is a symbolic act to get us thinking about our planet and our impact on it. Use the time to think about ways you can reduce your carbon footprint and adopt sustainable behaviours year-round.
Remember to turn off all lights and unplug any unnecessary electronics before you leave the office on Friday.