Main Menu

Accommodations, Procedures, and Forms

Royal Roads University (RRU) offers the following accommodations to students with a documented disability who require assistance in completing their program. Academic or physical accommodations for conditions that are temporary or permanent are available to students with appropriate medical documentation.

Examples of temporary conditions are:

  • an injury such as a broken limb;
  • undergoing or recovering from surgery;
  • an unexpected personal crisis. 

Examples of permanent conditions are:

  • limited vision or blindness;
  • hard of hearing or deafness;
  • limited mobility;
  • a chronic health condition which may impact learning in classroom;
  • psychological or neurological conditions such as learning disorders, ADD/ADHD, and mental health disorders.

Students can authorize the Access Advisors in RRU’s Accessibility Services department to receive or provide information with a third party by completing the Release of Information form.

Before seeking alterations to the original design of your course schedule it’s important you speak to Financial Aid & Awards if you are receiving funding.

Also, be aware that the University’s Academic Regulations require undergraduate students to complete their degree program within five years and graduate students to complete their degree program within seven years of their program start date. Time spent on medical extensions, leaves or temporary withdrawal is included in the calculation of a student’s program completion time. Read more about this here.

Academic and Physical Accommodations

Course-based academic accommodations may include:

  • additional time to complete assignments;
  • copies of instructor’s notes (as appropriate);
  • transcription of course material to alternate formats;
  • permission to audio record lectures;
  • wheelchair accessible tables and computer workstations;
  • sign language interpreting or captioning.

Exam-based academic accommodations may include:

  • additional time to complete exams;
  • provision of a distraction-reduced environment;
  • supervised rest breaks;
  • exams in e-text format.

Procedure and Forms

Accessible Campus Accommodation and/or Parking

Students with a physical disability may apply for campus accommodation and/or a disabled parking pass through Accessibility Services.

RRU offers short term campus accommodation for students attending residencies. Students requiring an ensuite because of a medical condition, or have other unique access needs, must reserve their room through Accessibility Services. For students with a high priority disability, the ensuite will be allocated early. All other ensuite requests will be adjudicated one week before residency.

The campus has unreserved parking spaces located at the top and bottom of a steep hill (23% incline) which can be challenging for people with mobility limitations. There are a limited number of reserved parking spots around the classroom buildings that require permission for use.

Request Form


Major Project Medical Extension

Medical Extensions for the research component of the program are three months in length, regardless of medical condition. A Medical Extension simply waives the course extension fee to a maximum of two times. The second extension must be for a new presenting medical barrier to completion of the major project. 

A Medical Leave of Absence is recommended if the student cannot complete their major project within these parameters.

Procedure and Form

Authorized Withdrawal from Individual Courses

An Authorized Withdrawal (AW) is for students who need to drop one or more classes, but not the whole course load. It may be approved on medical or compassionate grounds, subject to the provision of satisfactory documentation. The course name with an AW will appear on official transcripts issued by the university but it will have no effect on the grade point average.

Students can receive the full refund for the course(s) only if they request the AW 15% of the course is completed. After that point, tuition is non-refundable, but by withdrawing for medical reasons a student will have an opportunity to retake the courses at no charge.

Procedure and Form

Medical Leave of Absence

Students unable to continue their studies due to a medical condition, be it related to personal health or the health of an immediate family member, may be granted a 12-month Medical Leave of Absence (MLOA) from study, subject to the provision of appropriate medical documentation. Students who are granted such a leave will have "Leave of Absence" recorded on their transcript.

A student may request a MLOA to begin before classes start or during active courses. If the student opts to take a leave during active courses, those courses will be assigned marks of “AW” on the transcript for Authorized Withdrawal.

Students on leave should be focusing on getting well and are not normally provided with academic supervision or access to the university’s facilities or services. Exceptions are granted with the express permission of the Dean.

A student may return before the end of the 12-month MLOA with medical clearance.

Procedure and Form

Return from Medical Leave of Absence

At the end of a 12-month Medical Leave of Absence (MLOA) documentation is required to either declare fitness to return to study, necessity for extended leave, or withdrawal from study.

Procedure and Form


If you require further assistance, please contact us: