MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING between British Columbia Institute of Technology and Royal Roads University.
This memorandum of understanding constitutes an agreement between Royal Roads University (RRU) and British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT). The participating units at the respective institutions are the School of Communication and Culture at RRU and the School of Business at BCIT.
Objective of the Agreement:
RRU agrees to facilitate the block transfer of students from BCIT with appropriate prerequisite qualifications into the third year of the Bachelor of Arts in Professional Communication at RRU. By this agreement, applicants from BCIT who meet the requirements outlined below will be eligible for admission to RRU with full block transfer, provided all other entrance criteria are met (per the program admission requirements on the RRU website) and space remains available in the Bachelor of Arts in Professional Communication program. Entrance to all programs at RRU is on a competitive basis.
Successful completion of the:
- Broadcast and Media Communications - Broadcast and Online Journalism Diploma
- Radio Arts & Entertainment Diploma
- Broadcast Television Diploma
As a party to this agreement, BCIT agrees:
- to make information about this agreement and the RRU Bachelor of Arts in Professional Communication degree options available to students;
- to provide opportunity for representatives of RRU to visit appropriate forums at BCIT to disseminate information about the RRU Bachelor of Arts in Professional Communication program;
- to notify RRU with as much lead time as possible of any curriculum changes to the diploma(s) outlined above.
As a party to the agreement, RRU agrees:
- to provide students from BCIT holding a diploma as noted above academic acceptance into the third year of the Bachelor of Arts in Professional Communication at RRU, provided all other entrance criteria are met (per the program admission requirements on the RRU website) and space remains available in the Bachelor of Arts in Professional Communication program;
- whenever possible, to count any undefined transfer credits towards the Bachelor of Arts in Professional Communication requirements to prevent students having to unnecessarily take additional courses to qualify for graduation;
- to notify BCIT, with as much lead time as possible, of any curriculum changes to the Bachelor of Arts in Professional Communication program;
- to notify BCIT, with as much lead time as possible, about any anticipated or approved changes to the Bachelor of Arts in Professional Communication requirements.
Implementation of this agreement will be through the Registrar’s Office at each institution, in consultation with the appropriate authorities in the respective programs.
Term of the Agreement
This agreement shall be in place for a period of three years commencing June 1, 2013. At the end of this time, the agreement will be subject to review and renewal by RRU. If there are impediments to renewal, RRU will notify the transfer partner of the impediments, with the goal of negotiating a new agreement. Final approval of the agreement will remain with the President of RRU.
Royal Roads University retains the right to limit the number of students admitted under this agreement.
On behalf of British Columbia Institute of Technology:
Chris Golding, Acting President - May 6, 2013
On behalf of Royal Roads University:
Allan R. Cahoon, PhD, President and Vice Chancellor - April 16, 2013