Students bring energy, commitment and new skills to the work place. Royal Roads University believes that work integrated learning is a three-way partnership between the University, the student and the host organization. The Work Integrated Learning (WIL) office supports a variety of applied learning opportunities that fall under two categories:
- A commitment of a minimum 12 week (420 hours) to a maximum of full-time for 6 month work experience: the number of hours and duration that students are available is dependent on each program’s requirements.
- Most programs do not require students to return to classroom studies upon the completion of their internship.
- Students are integrated into positions as an "employee" in a mentored opportunity with a host supervisor.
- Students work in a professional capacity while completing their academic responsibilities under the guidance of a faculty advisor.
- Host employers will offer an equitable salary in relevance to their industry, the role and the student’s experience.
- Host employers are required to complete the internship contract, which includes the internship job description.
- Is a commitment of 75-100 on-site hours for a project-based experience: the number of hours and duration that students are available is dependent on each program’s requirements.
- Students increase their understanding in their professional area of interest and gain skills outside of the classroom.
- Students volunteer in a professional capacity while fulfilling predefined academic responsibilities under the guidance of a faculty advisor.
Work Integrated Learning Calendar
Internship and practicum students are available throughout different times of the year. View the current WIL calendar of program area and student availability.