Dear members of the Royal Roads University community,
The term of our current President and Vice-Chancellor, Allan Cahoon, will come to an end on 31 December 2018. While we celebrate his accomplishments over the coming year and continue to work towards fulfilling his goals and vision for the institution and its students, preparations to find his successor are also underway.
The Board of Governors is responsible for appointing the university’s next president. The Board has established a Presidential Search Committee to assist it in fulfilling this responsibility. Executive search specialist Caldwell Partners has been retained to support the search process. Caldwell brings extensive experience and expertise to guide the search. Please refer to the section Mandate of the Search Committee for more information on the responsibilities of the Committee.
We recognize that choosing the next president is a big decision that will affect the university, its culture and community for years to come. We invite you to be a part of this process by sharing your ideas about the opportunities that lie ahead, and the values and qualities that the next president will need to lead the university into the next decade. This webpage will be updated periodically to keep you informed of opportunities to participate and the Committee’s progress.
Thank you for your interest in the search for the university’s next president and vice-chancellor. We look forward to an exciting future for Royal Roads University.
Kathleen Birney Vern Slaney
Chancellor & Chair of the Presidential
Chair of the Board of Governors Search Committee
The search will begin in November 2017 and will include opportunities through the fall and winter for the university community to share its ideas with the search committee about the university’s next president. We anticipate that the search will conclude in the spring of 2018 with the selection of the next president and that the next president will take up responsibilities in January 2019.
Mandate of the Search Committee
The Board of Governors is responsible for appointing the university’s next president and has established a Presidential Search Committee to assist it in fulfilling this responsibility. The Committee is responsible for recommending a short-list of candidates for the role of president and vice-chancellor to the Board of Governors for their final selection. The Search Committee’s work will include:
- Seeking the input from the university’s key stakeholders: faculty, staff and students, on the opportunities and challenges facing the institution in the next 5-10 years and, consequently, the priorities for the next president and the attributes and strengths that the next president should possess.
- Taking into account the feedback and comments from stakeholders, finalizing the president and vice-chancellor’s role profile.
- Working with the Caldwell Partners to identify suitable candidates who meet the criteria of the role profile to recommend to the Board of Governors for consideration.
Once the Search Committee has made its recommendation to the Board of Governors, the Search Committee will have concluded its work. The Board of Governors will make the final selection of the university’s next president and vice-chancellor.
The Presidential Search Committee members are:
- Vern Slaney, Committee Chair and board member
- Kathleen Birney, Chancellor & Chair of the Board of Governors
- Liz Bicknell, board member
- Dave Byng, board member and RRU alumnus
- Bruce Donaldson, board member
- Fred Burgess, RRU student
- Katharine Harrold, RRU vice-president of communications and advancement
- Jaigris Hodson, RRU faculty member
- Candace Perkins, RRU staff member
Committee support (non-voting):
Karen Hakkarainen, Manager, Board Governance & Planning
The selection of the right person for the role of president and vice-chancellor is critical to the continued success of the university. The search committee needs your input to identify the qualities and values that the next president should have and will use your input as it develops the role profile for the position of president and vice-chancellor. So far, the following feedback sessions have been held:
- 30 November – on-campus student feedback
- 01 December – Town Hall with Caldwell Partners for all faculty and staff
- 05 December – faculty feedback
- 07 December – faculty feedback
If you were not able to attend one of the in-person sessions you can still share your ideas through our online questionnaire. You may also send comments by confidential email. We hope that you will join in the conversation.
If you would like to learn more about this opportunity please see the job posting or contact Caldwell Partners at www.caldwellpartners.com/apply.php or email Janet Winship: email@example.com. Please reference Project 171119. All responses to Caldwell Partners are confidential.