Welcome to Indigenous Education and Student Services
Royal Roads University members acknowledge that we learn, work, and live on the traditional lands of the Xwsepsum (Esquimalt) and Lkwungen (Songhees) ancestors and families. We also acknowledge the traditional lands and the history, and knowledge sharing with the neighboring Nations, Scia’new (Beecher Bay) and T’Sou-ke (Sooke).
Indigenous Education and Student Services is here to assist Indigenous and Metis Students by providing support in academic, financial, and cultural practices that impact their education and career development.
- To build stronger relationships with the Coast Salish and Wsanec communities
- To provide a welcoming environment that enhances Indigenous culture and traditional knowledge
- To provide a welcoming environment for Indigenous & Metis Students, so they feel Sneq’wa e’lun (the Blue Heron House), can be their “home away from home”
- To provide consistent, respectful working relationship that support and build opportunities that feed Indigenous & Metis students learning experience
- To stay connected with all Indigenous & Metis Alumni by capturing their career and education success stories
- To partner and connect with local, national and international Indigenous (First Nation, Inuit, Status, Non-Status) and Metis communities to share academic and cultural support to each other.
- To become a great host that follows Coast Salish protocols and that allows us to 'house' Indigenous and Metis students to feel that Royal Roads University can be their home away from home.
Thank you for taking the time to visit our Indigenous Education and Student Services webpages.
In honour of the Xwsepsum (Esquimalt) and Lkwungen (Songhees) ancestors, “Hay’sxw’qa si’em”. In honour of the Nuu-chah-nulth ancestors, “Kleco! Kleco!!”